My Weak End

So today was going to be special.  I’d been fighting another nasty chest cold and had to miss a number of my hyperbaric oxygen therapy sessions this past week.  The last place I wanted to be was inside a pressurized chamber when my head and chest were so congested.  But today, I was feeling much better and looked forward to going for a walk on the beach, after my morning therapy session.

I also decided to pre-register for my walking club’s special walk this Sunday morning.  We meet at the Runners Room on Deman Street – walk through Stanley Park and then across the Lions Gate Bridge (both ways) and then back through Stanley Park to Denman Street (10 kms).  I haven’t been on a walk for more than two weeks, so I’m really looking forward to seeing my friends again.  It’s supposed to be sunny today and tomorrow and that always brightens my spirits.

After my therapy session, I changed my plans and decided to meet my buddy Robert in Coquitlam for coffee instead.  On the way, I dropped off my Santa wig and beard at my friend Liza’s place to get cleaned.  She’s the lady who sold me a Santa Claus outfit several years ago when her rental business went out-of-business.  We’ve stayed in touch ever since.

I shared a few laughs with Robert – he’s such a great friend.  He’s heading to Alberta for Christmas, to be with his daughters and grandkids.

So the day was pretty awesome until that evening when I sat down to play with my dog Holly.  I was treating myself to a delicious chocolate – the soft, gooey, caramelly kind – when suddenly I felt a ‘clink’ in my mouth.  Within a second or two, I removed one of my front bottom teeth!

When does it end?

I probably won’t go for the walk tomorrow.  I won’t be able to smile, without looking like a hockey player!

Maybe, I’ll put the tooth under my pillow and make a wish.

Maybe my wish will come true – if not, my gal pal Diva Sue has offered me a set of plastic vampire teeth to wear.  Or I have this Jason mask, from the movie Halloween that I could wear.

My ‘brightened’ spirits are starting to flicker…

Update:  Sunday EveningHolly and I got up at 3:00 am this morning and after my first cup of coffee, I got tired of feeling sorry for myself and decided to join my friends for the Sunday morning walk in Vancouver. 

I left the house at 8:30 am, and arrived at the Runners Room on Denman at 9:45 am.  I was happy to see that we had 36 walkers doing the 10 KM walk through Stanley Park, crossing the Lions Gate Bridge both ways, then following an ultra-awesome route that featured much breathtaking scenery.   This is an inaugural walk on a route that was just designed by the talented members of my walking club – the Vancouver Venturers Volkssport Club.

My dear friend Connie and I walked together for the first part of the walk but she and some of the other ladies decided they wouldn’t be walking the bridge portion, so we waved goodbyes at Prospect Point, and they continued on the 7 KM route.

 The bridge crossing gave us breathtaking scenery that you just can’t experience when you drive.  Standing at the middle of the bridge and staring out at the ocean, mountains, city vistas and female cyclists and joggers cannot be described adequately in this space.  

The walk back through the park was by a different route and I witnessed new scenes and vistas I had never seen before.  This was definitely my favorite walk ever!

As we left the park, we even passed an apartment building on Alberni Street, where I lived in 1974 when I first lived in Vancouver.  At the time, it was the last building before entering Stanley Park.  There’s now a couple of newer buildings that have dwarfed my former digs.   A lot of memories of days gone by flooded the senses and even a slight tug at the heartstrings.

I made a couple of new friends during the walk, including a couple of people from South Africa, and a lady who’s originally from Shanghai.  The weather was fantastic – there wasn’t a cloud in the sky!  And I’m so happy, I can’t stop smiling!

On the way home, I stopped in White Rock for my therapy treatment and then finally made it home at 5:30 pm, so I’m having a bowl of soup and then going to bed to dream about my next adventure.   

Dedicated to my friend, Bozena



Today’s tune (from Danny’s library of purchased music)


7 thoughts on “My Weak End

    1. Hi
      Millie, Sorry for the delay in replying but I’ve been distracted these past few days. There’s always something but we’re used to it, aren’t we? But it’s important to remain calm and positive and leave the worries to hockey fans. Hugs & Love, Danny

  1. Go walk Holly some place lovely anyway. You will get the toothe fixed and chocolate is always wonderful.Sending Hugs

    Hope the fairy 🧚‍♀️ brings you 10 Million Dollars.

    Sue xo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.